Tuesday, October 4, 2011

I'm Engaged!

The title says it all folks! I haven't written about this yet mostly because I've been trying to get in contact with some people before they could find out from the internet, but also because the usual pressures of school and work have been interfering with time that be used for blogging. I have, however, had a couple of requests for details on how I proposed, and so I find myself making time in my day to inform the wider world of these recent events.

Our date night was on a Tuesday. Tuesday was the only night that week that I had off from work in which we did not have previous plans already made, and as such I knew that Tuesday was my day to take her out on a memorable date and propose. I had it all planned! We were going to head into Dallas proper and have a lovely Italian dinner, enjoying the fancy food. After that we were going to enter the whimsical Cinderella pumpkin-scape of the Dallas arboretum. There, among the fairy tale land of gourds, I was going to pull out a book. Now this particular book I had painstakingly spent hours of time carving and gluing into a box. And into this box I had wired in place an engagement ring. The cover said "Our Story Begins", and let's face it, doesn't that just fit perfectly with the Cinderella decor?

Well, it seems that I had not thought as much ahead as I had previously thought. The arboretum closes at 5 each weekday. No problem! Quick plan change, and dinner was now after the engagement. She might not want to eat right then when she could be showing off a ring, but we'll deal with that then. So I picked up Elizabeth at her house and began to drive. What's that? Traffic? It seems Dallas had other plans for my evening. Such is life. In truth we ended up at the quaint Italian restaurant, early for dinner yet, and found out it wasn't so much quaint as it was dingy. We then followed that up with playing cards. (A wonderful game called Dimes. Fun times) Afterwards, we headed back to her house, and hung out for awhile. By this point I was almost depressed because nothing of the evening had looked as I had hoped that it would. But nevertheless, I was determined, and so I brought Elizabeth out to the front porch to chat. I explained how much I had wanted to make the day beautiful for her, so that she would always have the memory, and pulling the book/box from my bag, I dropped to one knee. And there and then I asked her to marry me.

The day may not have looked as I had wished it to, but I was not willing to wait another day more to give her that ring. She said yes, and that sounds like the best possible beginning to a story.



1 comment:

  1. Love this story! Think of it this way...now you have two memory stories to tell about the day! What you intended and what actually happened. The little things that you don't mean to happen end up being the highlights sometimes! Aaron spilled his drink toward me when he tried to hold my hand afterward, for example! :) The book you made is really cool too.

    ReplyDelete