Tuesday, March 19, 2013

Provision

I've mentioned before, I think, that I'm working full time as a waiter in order to work my way through grad school. School is great and all, but it is amazing to me the variety of lessons one can learn in the workplace, if only you take the time to look around and think about what is happening.

One lesson I have learned is that there will be good days, and there will be bad days. Some days, you can work for a short time with tables that demand very little of you, and you will go home with more money than you expected. Other days you can work yourself to the point of exhaustion with tables who are hard on you, but you will make next to nothing. Don't let it bother you. Waiting tables, like much of life, is a game of balances. You may have a week of bad days, but if you trust in God, and persevere, God will take care of you. More than once I have started the week off poorly and made the entirety of what I had budgeted for in my final shift. Or conversely, I've started the week off great, and (admittedly) I grow confident that I will make more than enough for  my week, yet somehow I end up making just the same as the week before.

All throughout my waiting on tables, I have never been what I would consider rich, but we have always reached a point where we could pay our bills, even when unexpected expenses come up. (like a flat tire a couple weeks ago) God is faithful. But he also wants us to depend on Him. I think, perhaps, that is why He doesn't let us get too far ahead of ourselves. Even so, I know that if I work my hardest at my job, God will provide what I need to provide for my family. And I don't worry about the rest. I don't expect to get rich. I only expect to get by until such a point that we are ready to go to the mission field. And that's enough for me.

I don't know where everybody reading this is in their lives. If you are struggling, or gliding by. But I do know that God will provide for your needs. (read Matthew 6) I have the same confidence that by the time Elizabeth and I are ready to go overseas long term, we will have found enough people who believe in translating the Word of God into a language that has never had it before that we will be able to go. But for that to happen we will have to work our hardest, and persevere. And still we may just barely make it.

I hope God blesses each of you who is supporting us to get us through GIAL and to Papua New Guinea. And I pray that some of you reading this now will feel the call from God to start. We have a long way to go, but each day is a day closer.

Press on,

Jacob Smith

0 comments:

Post a Comment